Sunday, June 14, 2009

New work, Still In Progress

Sometimes we have ideas of where we want things to go and sometimes we don't. This is a stream along the road going through the center of the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. I stopped to take pictures and climbed down to the stream. The thing that struck me the most was the stream bed and the jumble of rocks. I saw the randomness of the placement, the texture and the color in the water and thought "Wow! If I could only capture that!" So I gave it a shot, knowing it would be a bit more complicated than the work I had done before. It's not perfect but I am pretty happy with it so far.
When I started this one, I was thinking the one graphite work. I got some ideas along the way. What if I did the water in color to capture all the variety? What if I had all that time in the graphite and messed it up when I put the color in? Fortunately, I have the capability of printing a scan onto the same type of paper the original was done on and that allows me to experiment without endangering all that time i already have in it. Of course, its not unusual for a printmaker to pull a print and experiment where to take it next so I am just doing a version of that. The idea that I have in my head here is that I don't want the color to overpower the graphite work. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment